Friday, November 23, 2007

I get E-mails that blow smoke II

Seeing things through rose colored glasses??? Half glass full??? Head up ASS?? You decide!!!




Thank you for contacting me regarding recent developments in Iraq. I appreciate having the benefit of your views.

The War in Iraq is the single most important issue before Congress and the American people today. Our action in Iraq, the Middle East, and our ability to support the Iraqi government as it strives to create a democracy will have implications that last for generations to come. As a Member of Congress, and someone who has visited Iraq four times, most recently this past August, I understand the risks involved and the consequences of a hasty withdrawal. I am proud to support the brave men and women of our armed forces as they help secure democracy and ensure that those oppressed by a brutal dictator will one day achieve their dream of thriving in a free society.

As you may know, I visited our soldiers on August 24-27. I am continually inspired by their determination and dedication to the mission. While in Iraq, I met with members of both the American and Iraqi armed forces as well as members of the Iraqi government. I was encouraged to see their high morale and dedication to completing the mission. Based upon my personal visits to the region the dynamics on the ground are continuously improving. While the course is uncertain and serious challenges remain, I am optimistic.

I am grateful to the men and women of the Armed Services that are helping to protect our country from future terrorist attacks while simultaneously working to rebuild Iraq. You can rest assured that I will continue to ensure that our troops in Iraq, and our allies among the Iraqi people, have the support and equipment they need to defend freedom. We cannot allow the nation to revert to terror and tyranny, or we risk providing hope to our enemies in the War on Terror who seek to defeat us through fear and violence.

Creating a lasting peace has not been easy. However, we are succeeding and must ensure that the Iraqi government is able to defend itself before withdrawing troops. Although, I agree that our strategy toward Iraq should be reviewed I am opposed to premature Congressional action and will continue to listen to the Commanders on the ground as they come before Congress with suggestions and adjustments in courses of action. We must be sure that we leave Iraq with the tools necessary to produce a stable and self-sufficient nation.

Most recently, General David Petraeus and Ambassador Ryan Crocker delivered a much-anticipated status report on the Iraq War before a joint meeting of the Armed Services and Foreign Affairs committees. I believe that the testimonies delivered by General Petraeus and Ambassador Crocker were accurate, apolitical assessments which exclusively considered the facts. Furthermore, I was encouraged by the expectation that there will be substantial withdrawals of U.S. troops in the near future. It is my belief that our troop levels will decrease at a faster pace than Petraeus proposed.

Again, thank you for contacting me about this most important issue. Please let me know if I can do anything for you, your family or friends.


Sincerely,

Jon C. Porter
Member of Congress

No comments: