Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Witch Hunt (Speech I had given in 1997)


I stand before you – a man against the masses.  A symbol of hope for the common man – a flame to burn the embers of truth – a voice crying out in the wilderness trying to find an ear to listen.

            Although it doesn't show in my attitude or how I act, but when an issue such as the one I will be discussing tonight surfaces, you can bet that you will see those flames burning and you will hear my voice loud and proud, and the First Amendment of the Constitution guarantees that to me.  It guarantees to all of us that, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or the press, or the right of people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for redress of grievances.”

            I’m proud to say – “Yes, I've read Huckleberry Finn,” or – “Yes, I've enjoyed the music of Prince or Judas Priest,” or better yet – “I’m a Howard Stern fan.”  But what do these issues  have in common?  I’ll tell you.  The book, the artists, and the man have been the targets of people with closed minds and one-sided views.  Being a supporter of First Amendment issues, you can bet that I’ll follow it until the Supreme Court makes a judgment on the case.

            There is some history behind my taking up this very controversial issue.  It started in 1985 when our, now, Vice-president’s wife, “Tipper,” formed the Parents Music Resource Center (PMRC), to fight “Dirty Records.”  When Frank Zappa, Dee Snider, and John Denver, and countless other musicians went to Capitol Hill to let their voices be heard, I was with them in spirit, because, in my heart, I knew the PMRC was going a little too far – dissecting lyrics for the sake of finding dirt.  Granted, there are artists that can go a bit too far, but to label them as bad influences is a crime.  I was (and still am) listening to these artists, enjoying their music and going to their concerts.  I followed the Congressional hearings until the very end.  This is the reason I feel so strong about the First Amendment.

            In high school, you’re taught right from wrong, how to play fairly, and coexist with others in social settings.  I felt I was being wronged by my government back then, and sometimes it comes back to haunt me in magazine articles, television shows, or other mediums.  They were coming into my home and judging what was good for me and what was bad for me.  About a year after graduation, a songwriter from Canada named Arnold Lanni wrote titled Should I See.  When I heard the words, I was (if you’ll excuse the use of a colloquial phrase) blown away.  The first verse goes, and I quote:

Cover my eyes and ears
‘Til it all disappears
How can you judge for me
What I should hear and see

You take away freedom of choice
Take away my right to voice
My beliefs and all my views
You take away my right to choose

After hearing that, I felt that it wasn't a sin against society to have a copy of a Heavy Metal album in my home.
            How would you feel if someone were to invade your thought, and tell you what you should be reading, or listening to?  You probably wouldn't like it very much.  Suppose someone told you that you couldn't read:

Huckleberry Finn, or
Catcher In The Rye, or
Of Mice And Men, or
Little House On The Prairie.

These books were on the list of questionable books in schools, tracked by the People For The American Way (a national anti-censorship organization).  They tracked a total of 375 for the 1993-94 school year.

            Those books I mentioned are classics in all sense of the word classic.  They portrayed the times in which they were written, and most have a moral at the end.  But now, with everyone being so Politically Correct, there are words in the context of the books, now deemed derogatory, are questionable.  Or they portrayed something we deem as different from the norm, and we want to shelter it from whoever wishes to read them.

            At a library in Weslaco, Texas, a librarian was fired for stocking Howard Stern’s book, Private Parts.  After ordering and receiving the book, the library received a complaint, and the book was placed in the reserved section.  After the same person complained about the book, the librarian was asked to remove the book from the library.  She told the library commission that the book had been removed, and ultimately, she was fired.  Her personal belongings had been vandalized, her life had been threatened.  But, luckily Howard heard of this and came to her rescue.  They appeared on the Donahue Show with members of the library commission, and they made it look like it was all her fault.  End result – Miss Librarian is in seclusion, the book is back in the reserve section, and Howard is still Howard.

            The FCC has levied millions of dollars in fines against Howard Stern for being obscene on the air.  When and where, I would like to know?  This is what I think is weird.  We have a bunch of people appointed to high ranking positions in our government in charge of free speech.  If they go after the likes of Howard, they should go after:  Phil, Oprah, Montel, Jenny, Days of Our Lives, and dare I say Rush Limbaugh at every direction.

            Recently we witnessed the murder of Tejano music star Selena.  The killing was unjust, and a life was taken before it was time.  Mr. Howard Stern reported the death in his own fashion, but not mocking the recently departed.  Of all the strange things Howard has said, or the malicious things Howard has said, he say something from his own standpoint and gets a lot of heat.  Howard said that Hispanics had bad taste in music.  What has happened since – a justice of the peace in Texas has issued a Disorderly Conduct Warrant against Howard Stern;  he is to be arrested if he enters the state of Texas.  All this for being a critic.  If that were the case – Siskel and Ebert, and the rest would be locked up for life.

            When and where does it end – I don’t know.  There are as many questions as there are answers.  You may not agree with everything I've said, but think of this…  When someone tells you that you can’t listen to someone, or read something, how would you feel?  There is time for a Witch Hunt – but let’s concentrate on the child molesters, the murderers, and the drug dealers.  Leave my books, music, and Howard Stern alone. 

No comments: