Tuesday, September 04, 2007

I get E-mails that blow smoke

This came from Sen. Ensign today and my ass is just full of smoke right now. I wrote to him last month and I got a reply - some wonders never cease:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the important issue of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA). I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts with me, and I value the opportunity to address them.

As you may be aware, Congress passed, with bipartisan support, and the President signed into law the Protect America Act on September 6, 2007. This legislation to reform FISA, was proposed by the Director of National Intelligence (DNI), Retired Navy Vice Admiral Mike McConnell. The DNI's proposal allows the Intelligence Community to close critical gaps in its current ability to identify and provide early warnings of terrorist threats to the country. DNI McConnell, who is neither a politician nor a partisan, has stated that this act is the bare minimum he needs to protect this country against terrorist attacks, while safeguarding our civil liberties.

Nearly three decades have passed since the FISA act was last modified. Since that time the threats we face have changed dramatically and so has communications technology. These changes in technology unintentionally broadened the scope of FISA and harmed our ability to conduct surveillance on those plotting from abroad to attack the United States. The Protect America Act clarifies that the Intelligence Community should not be required to obtain court orders to effectively collect foreign intelligence from foreign targets located overseas. This was not deemed appropriate in 1978, and it is not appropriate today.

I can assure you that I understand the importance of preserving our civil liberties. This legislation would in no way change the manner in which domestic intelligence is collected and requires our intelligence community to create and maintain a document trail that is easily auditable. Additionally, this act requires both the Attorney General and the DNI to jointly authorize foreign targeting for individuals believed to be threats. Finally, it reaffirms Congress's oversight role by requiring the Attorney General to provide semi-annual reports to both the Senate and House Intelligence and Judiciary Committees.
Please know that I will keep your concerns, and the concerns of all Nevadans, in mind. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me. Please feel free to contact me in the future on matters of importance to you. Should you have any other questions or comments or would like to sign up for my monthly newsletter, please do not hesitate to either write or e-mail me via my website.

No comments: