Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Deeper thoughts…

With all these different States banning “Sharia Law”, it got me thinking… and the only thought that comes to mind is “What the fuck!!!”  With the way things are going in this country, and the right wing people who are filling the various benches across the land, I’m sure they would use Old Testament types of verdicts. But I digress…

When I went to high school many moons ago, I learned of a thing call “Separation of Church and State”, so any type of court ruling or new law passed would have to pass Constitutional muster – not Torah, Biblical or Koran muster.  We, here in these United States, do not follow rules set up in Leviticus or we’d all be banned from eating pork – and that would be sad since Denny’s is having a glorious bacon promotion (even a bacon sundae – gross as it may sound).

I’m not a religious person and really never got into it, even though I was raised Roman Catholic.  I see a world in a broader view where people have rights beyond what  any religious text might say.  The law of our land comes from Washington D.C.. not Rome or any other religious seat in the world.

To change our laws to reflect that of some religious book, we would have to drastically change out Constitution or there would have to be an overthrow of the government – which I don’t see either of those things happening anytime soon.  People come to this country for the freedoms we hold, such as the freedom to worship (or not worship), freedom of speech, freedom to move about freely.

This has nothing to do with “Sharia Law” as I see it – it is more of an attack on those of the Muslim faith.  People in the “heartland” are afraid of that of which they do not understand.  What happens in the streets of Iran or Saudi Arabia is different from what happens in the streets of Kansas or Oklahoma.  The people of Kansas or Oklahoma have the freedom to be who they are, think what they want, and pray the way they want to pray.  No one is going to take that away from them.  The best word I can think of is “paranoia”.  They are all paranoid and need to get a grip.  Franklin D. Roosevelt said it best – “The only thing we have to fear is…  Fear itself.”

So, in closing, we as a nation can laugh at these states who have taken paranoia to a whole new level.  I know that the Constitution is on my side, and not some boogieman lurking in the shadows waiting to stone me for something written in a 2,000 year old book.  So, it’s time to get over the fear and start living and acting like human beings and give up the mob mentality.  We can all learn to coexist in peace and harmony.

 

No comments: