Saturday, March 12, 2011

Faithless…

I consider myself Agnostic.  I was raised Roman Catholic.  I have no problem with religion nor with people who practice their religion (unless, of course, someone tries to push their faith on me).  What has been bothering me the most are Conservative/Republican politicians who call themselves Christian, but, in my opinion, do no follow the teachings of the Bible. They are hypocrites, plain and simple. Their gods are corporations, the rich and the almighty dollar.

Take for instance their need to take away funding that aids the poor.  They are willing to take away from these people and hand these monies over to the rich and multibillion dollar corporations:

Deuteronomy 15:7, 11
If there is a poor man among your brothers in any of the towns of the land that the LORD your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother. There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land.

Their need to constantly go after undocumented people:

Deuteronomy 24:14
Do not take advantage of a hired man who is poor and needy, whether he is a brother Israelite or an alien living in one of your towns

Their need to take away Social Security and Medicare (and the chances they might want to turn these two programs over to corporations and Wall Street – which is another reason for them to steal it all):

Matthew 25:41-45
Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least among you, you did not do for me.'

Giving tax breaks to corporations, as most have a negative tax rate (meaning they end up getting a tax refund with all they loopholes given to them):

1 Timothy 6:17-19
Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

Also, there is this need for them to deny rights to the homosexual community by imposing their beliefs upon them by denying their right to marry.  If they are so concerned about one line in Leviticus regarding man lying with another man, then they should be concerned with the rest of the Book.  They should make sure their sons are circumcised, refrain from eating shellfish, etc..  Last I checked, we are all equal under the laws of the United States, not the Bible. 

I just don’t get it.  To call themselves Christian is beyond me.  I was taught at “church school” to care for the weak and the poor, not turn my back on them.  I was taught to give to charities – not because I had to, but because it was the right thing to do.  I was raised to help my neighbor when they are in need.  I was raised with a good moral compass.  These people are not good people, no matter how many times they say they are – you tell a lie long enough, you start believing it yourself.  They have no feelings, and by their actions, it may appear they have no soul.

Rush – The Big Money

Big money goes around the world
Big money give and take
Big money done a power of good
Big money make mistakes
Big money got a heavy hand
Big money take control
Big money got a mean streak
Big money got no soul...

No comments: